What is ETV?
Global populations are facing a range of environmental challenges that will impact future prosperity such as; resource depletion, increasing water scarcity, air pollution, climate change and biodiversity loss. Innovative environmental technologies can provide solutions to environmental challenges while also increasing market competition. Market breakthroughs of new technological innovations can be challenging because innovations by definition cannot demonstrate a successful track-record.
Without credible information about the performance claims of innovative technologies, potential buyers have no environmental product performance guarantees. Environmental Technology Verification (ETV) is designed to fill this gap.
Environmental Technology Verification (ETV) provides an independent evaluation of new technologies with a view to validate environmental claims so that users, developers, regulators, and other parties can make informed decisions about purchasing, applying and regulating innovative technologies. Verification builds vendor credibility and buyer confidence by providing assurance that environmental performance claims are valid, credible and supported by high quality, independent test data and information.
ETV was introduced in Canada in 1997 to support the implementation of innovative environmental technologies. In 2016, an International Standard was published by the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) to standardize the ETV process. ISO standard 14034 falls under TC207 (Environmental Management).
ETV is not a certification scheme; instead it ensures that a product’s environmental claims are true and verified, and presents a clear assessment of the technology’s environmental potential and value.
- To provide a reliable assessment process for verifying the environmental performance claims associated with technologies and technological processes.
- To provide a mechanism for third-party verification of environmental performance claims of technology to facilitate successful technology commercialization.
- To build vendor credibility and buyer confidence by providing the marketplace with the assurance that environmental performance claims are valid, credible and supported by high quality, independent test data and information.
- Provides specific & precise environmental performance claim verification, presented in an easily understood format
- Generates credibility & reduces procurement risk
- Provides a distinct market advantage & helps highlight environmental performance
- Expedites use of new technologies
- Supports the patenting process by providing verified claims
- Increases national and international market recognition